Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Why am I Nervous?

I just got back from a five miler around the Rice Lake Trails. It went alright, my Garmin was being Goofy in terms of reporting my mile splits. I am pretty certain that I was probably running nine to ten minute miles. I was just going easy and I wasn't working on speed or doing anything crazy. It reported that I was anywhere from 7:24 to 9:00 minute miles. There are several hills that I must go up and I know I am slowing down for them. I just don't believe that two of my miles were in the seven in a half minute range. Does anyone else think that their Garmin gets screwy sometimes?

There are several bloggers who were fortunate enough to be asked to try the Champion brand of workout running gear. About two weeks ago I was at Target and found the running outfit that I am wearing in this picture. The two items that I purchased were on the sale rack. My Champion jacket was $9.99 and my running pants were $15.99. I was pretty happy with the price and considered it a steal when compared to some of the other name brand items that I have purchased in the past. I thought the running outfit did a good job in terms of both providing thermal warmth and comfort. The only thing that bothered me was the little flappy thing up by my chin. Occasionally it would rub into my neck and that was a little annoying. The running pants were great! They fit perfect and were comfy to run in:)

I put these Yaktrax on for every outside run. Notice how I string my key through my shoe laces:)

So why do you think that I am so nervous? Well, it is because I have registered for the St. Paul Frozen Half Marathon and it is this Saturday! Oh, and it will be my first! Yes, I am a virgin half marathon girl and I am just a wee bit frightened! Speedo Steve talked me into it:) I was planning on my first half marathon being the Lace Up in February but I am just going to do this one for fun:) So if I am just doing this for fun, why am I so nervous? This past September I ran the Women Run the Cities 10 mile and my time was 1:23. I am not running as much as I did back then and really feel like there is no way that I can keep up with that type of pace right now. My plan is to set myself up with the 10 minute mile pacers and just see what happens. Once I have this whole half marathon thing behind my belt I will work on improving my times:)

The weather for Saturday looks horrible, it is reported to possibly snow and sleet. My husband thinks that I am crazy for wanting to run in that type of weather and I am not thrilled about it either. Hopefully it will not be as bad as I think and everything will be fine:)

I am hoping to see Beth, Honky, Chad and Steve out there!! Good luck to you all:)

28 comments:

  1. Way to go for signing up for your first half marathon! You will do fine. I have mine on Sunday. Looking forward to reading all about your race and I hope the weather holds out, otherwise you are gonna have one heck of a story to tell!

    I like the YakTrax too. I have used them once in the snow and I was able to hold a normal pace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really nervous about my first Half in 13 years back in Sept. I think it is natural to feel that way. I also think a little anxiety or mild stress can be a great motivator.

    Not big on saying anyone should run any race/event. We are "our own experiments". My next blog posting is going to be on this subject. You know where you are physically better than anyone else. However, if you are talking about running an HM in snow, sleet or ice - all I can say is you ROCK! Can't wait to read that race report. Have fun and good luck! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was planning to run that half too but hockey plans changed for the weekend and I couldn't justify another trip to the cities. I don't envy you running in sleet!! Once you get going it is usually fine though and makes for a good story when you're done:) You look so cute in you're running stuff. I need to look at Target-I've never worn any champion stuff! My Garmin can be stupid sometimes-usually in cities not around here. Maybe you really were running 7's!! Good Luck this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have fun running the half! One thing I remember about my first half was finishing and then thinking, wow that was short, I should be doing more and I loved that feeling! Have a blast, leave your Garmin at home if you dare!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good thoughts. You will do well and the run will be a breeze!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooohh...I think I'm running a half marathon the same time you are, except i don't think there'll be any snow on the ground so I think you win just on that basis! Garmin can be wacky sometimes especially if you choose to follow instantaneous speed. Anyway, best of luck in your race!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My garmin gets wonky sometimes, generally in one certain area... tells me that I'm running 4 minute miles. Um yeah not in a million years! There must be some interference with the satellite.

    You go! So excited that you signed up for a half- you will rock it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You'll do great in the half, especially if you're planning on having fun with it!

    I love Target! I have a few of the Champion brand things and have liked them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Julie: I actually did not even hear of the race until you posted about it. I will not be running in it, though I really want to do a half. Maybe I will go and be a spectator.

    I have no doubts you will do great. You will be surprised how quickly those miles will fall behind you! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck Saturday! That was my first half too, back in 2006. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck on Saturday! I know you'll do great...can't wait to read all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier this week. I appreciate your comments!

    Yes California is pretty most of the time. But we are really, really spoiled. You're out there running in snow and ice, we won't even venture out when it's raining!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck on Saturday. I'm sure this will be the start of many.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How super cool of you to be getting out there and doing the 1/2 on Saturday!! So proud of you! Love your running outfit...and can't believe what a steal you got. Not sure why doing a half has been in MY mind so much lately??!!..I have only done one ( horrible, hilly, horrible) 5K, oh yea...and I'm 100 lbs over weight. I guess it's the idea of a crazy goal? ANYWAYS......GOOD LUCK ON SATURDAY :) Can't wait to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good Luck on your first half...good for you for doing a winter race!! Here's hoping the weather cooperates. I can't wait to hear all about it, as I am still a race virgin :) ...my first half is only in May.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good luck!! I'll be there racing!!! You can't get bad weather to slow me down! ;)

    I just sent out a note to other bloggers / friends that I hope to see race morning. We're meeting in the "main building" down at the race site (at the corner of Sixth and Jackson Street) at 8:30-8:40 before the race. Hope to see you there!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You will love the half marathon; it is a great race. I hope the weather isn't too terrible. I am doing a half marathon on Sunday so we can share the gory details.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Best of luck for tomorrow...can't wait to read all about it on Monday!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi! I am senior at North Dakota State University working on my Senior Design Thesis for my Landscape Architecture degree. My thesis premise is "Designing for Pedestrians" and Maple Grove, MN is my site (I'm originally from Hamel, MN) I am intrigued by your passion as I was sorting through blogs of Maple Grove.

    Would you ever be willing to write about the conditions of areas you are running in? Good/Poor conditions including sidewalks/streets/intersections/ect.,)? I am just starting a blog at http://design4peds.blogspot.com/ as well to share with city planners, colleagues and others to start the trend for Designing for Pedestrians... not cars!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Designing for Pedistrians,
    I would love to help you out by answering your questions about the conditions of our Maple Grove sidewalks, streets and ect. I attempted to leave you a comment on your blog but I think since you have not posted anything...it would not give me the option to comment. Let me know how I can get in contact with you.

    Your thesis sounds very interesting and your degree unique and specialized! My son was also accepted to North Dakota State University...they have a fantastic Pharmacy program there. He actually chose UMD because it is closer to home:) Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for stopping by the blog! Good luck tomorrow, you will do great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Best of luck at your half this weekend! I hope the weather cooperates!
    Love the Champion outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for checking out my blog. I am glad you enjoyed it.

    Way to sign up and go for the half this weekend. You can totally do it. Just keep the legs moving forward, your breathing regulated and stay positive.

    I can't wait to read all about it. Have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good luck tomorrow and have fun! I hope the weather turns out better than you're expecting!

    can't wait to read your race report!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Good luck in your race, Julie! I hope the weather holds up and you have a nice run! I'm looking forward to an awesome race report!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh man! I was nervous after my first half too but it was awesome! Rock the race!

    ReplyDelete

 
Free Hit Counter