Friday, January 1, 2010

Polar Dash 5k Review and Hello 2010!

I got up this morning at 7:30 am and got ready for my first race of 2010! Yea baby!! This morning I ran in the Team Ortho Polar Dash 5k!! I was in a great mood and ready to go...despite the cold...it was 2 degrees. My husband was very generous and agreed to drop me off so that I wouldn't have to worry about parking and walking in this freezing tundra of a flipping morning. My daughter Kay did not run with me...she told me that she has a life and can't run in every race that I want company in:) Whatever....she had a party to go to with all of her girl friends...New Years eve sleep-over:) So I ran with my lonesome but had a great time anyway.
I arrived and check in went super fast, they were very organized and handled things in a timely fashion. I picked up my running bib and my Polar Dash hat and mittens:) Waiting in line I was able to meet another Minneapolis runner. Lois told me that her first half marathon was last year in Maple Grove.....she said it was a terrible day to run with the cold weather and wind....and oh my goodness the hills! Maple Grove does have alot of hills and I complain about them all the time. So maybe all of the hills in Maple Grove will help me when I am running in a super flat and fast half marathon this year:)





One thing that I thought was very cool was the fact that they had pacing groups for the 10k....I usually don't see that in the shorter races. I looked for the eight minute mile pace and moved up a little bit with the direction of Tim. Tim was the pacer for the 52 minute 10k.....he told me that I would want to move up because they would start out slower and there were over 2000 runners present. It had been some time since I had my 23:10 PR and I knew that today was in no way going to be a PR day. I did feel good and pretty energetic so I had every intention of just running a really good race.

The horn went off and it took about 30 seconds for me to move up to the start line....and I was off! I felt great and my feet were a little cold but I was to busy just taking in the sun and the good energy of the runners next to me. It seemed like only a few minutes before the turn around appeared. I thought, Wow, half way already! The coolest part was after the turn around I was able to see all of the other runners who were still behind me. I heard Tim (the 8:00 10k pacer) yell, "Go Julie"! I waved and gave him the thumbs up. I just kept moving at a steady pace and before I knew it the finish line was in sight. The crowd was cheering and I was smiling:) I looked down at my Garmin 24:03! Not a PR but I was still happy, after the last few crappy 5ks I will gladly take it.

I received my medal and had my picture taken with a friendly polar penguin...he asked me how it felt to be one of the first females to come in? I was like...what? He said, "Seriously, there have only been a few girls to come across so far". That was a huge ego booster for me:)


My first race of 2010 was a good one! I was a little sad that I wasn't able to see my blogger buddy Beth who also ran today. Beth was a rock star and ran in the 10k! I can't wait to hear what she thought about the race:)

The year 2009 was a good year for a first year of real running. (Does that sound right?) I never in a million years would of thought that I would of ran in 13 5ks, one 10k and a ten mile! Thank you to my friend Pam for introducing me to running. I love what it has done for me and look forward to my running future in 2010.


MY LIST OF THINGS TO STRIVE FOR IN 2010




To be a better person, friend, mother and wife

To have more patience

To set good examples

To be a role model

To try not to swear as much...(nothing to terrible just a few Sh-- s)

Eat more fruits and veggies

Lay off the caffeine

Continue to take my vitamins and calcium.....and essential oils

Try more different foods

Purchase more organic foods

Try a few of my blogger buddy's recipes

Join a running group

Take at least one class per semester....(Yes, I am a Gopher and go to the University of Minnesota)

Sign up for photography classes at National Camera Exchange

Start running longer distances

Log at least 1000 miles in 2010

Smile into the camera when I am crossing the finish line so that I don't look like a total dork in pictures

To continue my never stop running philosophy during a race

Actually meet some of my blogger friends

Make more bloggie friends

Start to do strength training

Stay healthy and injury free

I will run in four to five half marathons.....with at least one race at 1:50: to 2:00 and live

Finally get rid of the cellulite that is camping on my ass

Cheers! Happy New Year!!

18 comments:

  1. Fun posting Julie. Congrats on your fast race. However, even bigger congrats running in TWO degrees!!! Crazy! Lived in Topeka, KS four years. Ran once when it got below 20 degrees - never again. You are Braver and more hardcore than I! Great Pix as well - looks like you had a fun time. That's what is most important.

    Great list for 2010 as well! Have fun. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures! What a fun way to ring in the year. I love the list of things to STRIVE for in 2010!! My Goals go up tomorrow. GULP!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are brave to get up on New Year's and run in 2 degree weather. No, you are super woman, actually!! I love your list of things to strive for, all do-able of course! Nice penguin pictures, by the way! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on starting 2010 on the right foot! And, thanks for stopping by my blog. I can't wait to follow you through your year and read about your accomplishments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, that's a long list of goals! best wishes with all of them.

    and congrats on the 5k - great way to start off the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you had a great race! We didn't line up until the last minute and were farther back in the pack. Email me at bethkoetting at yahoo dot com and let's try to meet up for a run or a race. Great job and I love your list of goals. See you this year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job!

    And you look too cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your new year's day race! I wanted to do one too but couldn't find one locally!

    You sure got a long list of goals! That's very inspiring for those of us who have enough trouble with just a few! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree that was a good race despite the cold. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the penguins! I've never seen pace bunnies at a 10k, that's a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sure seems like a fun race. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You should check out the nightly runs at the Metrodome when its too cold to be outside. Tuesday Thursdays 5-8 pm, costs 1$, and free parking. Its inside so there are bathrooms and water fountains and best of all ... heat!

    http://www.runmdra.org/index.php/programs/12-dome-running

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice job getting out there in the cold! You've got some good goals for 2010 - a full year of running. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a great post! The race looks like it was a ton of fun, even though super cold! I can't imagine running in weather that cold. I usually stay indoors if it's below 30. Very cool that they give you a hat & gloves! The penguins are way too cute!

    I love your list of things to strive for this year. There are a lot of things on the list, but all wonderful! good luck & stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a wonderful way to start of 2010! Fun race and those penguins are cute! Congratulations on being one of the first ladies in.

    We have some of the same goals for 2010... although you have a lot more than I do. :)

    Thanks for the nice comment on my blog. I'm looking forward to reading about your running, training, and races.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Julie, here are some of the exercises that I do to help with my legs and hips
    http://runtothefinish.blogspot.com/2009/04/pt-exercises-honest-foods-and-freaking.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Please send the penguins down here. Super motivating to see those guys at the finish! LOL! Great job on the 5k. I also commend you on your list of goals. I think I could have a list of 20 and get to maybe 3.5. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Julie! What a great race. You are quite the trooper for running in 2 (!!!) degree weather. I thought 15 degrees was bad! I'm excited to read more of your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Free Hit Counter